Monday, June 22, 2015

Why should one attend a BarCamp?

Thanks to a friend of mine, I came to know about the BarCamp Kerala initiative. It was in the year 2008. In fact, I presented a session titled, "Programming Paradigms". I was surprised to see kind of openness and the collective  wisdom of the crowd assembled there.

Even-though the name seems bit misleading, there is an interesting history behind it. If you attend a Barcamp, you will know it. At least, there will be someone who will be telling the interesting history behind the Barcamp event. In fact, In the last BarCamp Kerala held at Technopark Trivandrum, I gave that introduction.

I have only missed three Barcamps after that and have presented in most of Barcamps I have attended. I always listen to other presentation with keen interest. This has had a positive impact on my life. 

Some of them are

  • I came to know more about LAMP stack,Content Management tools, Python,Blender,Dynamic Languages through Barcamp sessions
  • I started my consulting company after listening to a session on Entrepreneurship. The session covered how to setup your own partnership firm. The details of Bank transactions and Accounting compliance convinced me that It is easy to setup some concern than widely believed. ( A Session by Ivin Gancius in 2010)
  • Learned more about Software Business, after listening to people's "war stories" during the networking time
  • Met lot of professionals who have inspired and improved my ability to think.
  • Heard about Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning from Barcamps
  • Heard about HTML5 long before the stuff became mainstream
  • Learned more stuff about Security Engineering
  • Encountered lot of new Meme and Lingo (which otherwise would not have got
  • Improved my presentation skills in topics beyond technology!

Each time, Barcamp kerala is getting better. Let us see how the next event will be and what are the takeaways.The next edition of Barcamp Kerala will be held @ SCMS, Kochi. You can register for the event @ http://barcampkerala.org

No comments:

Post a Comment